Tuesday, October 12, 2010

More on Acts of Love

This following was written to Andrea while she was on a shoot in Santorni, Greece.  I was home in Bedford, tending the kids and shooting in the city.  In light of an article today in today's New York Times on the disparity in French households, we thought it was a timely note to share.

I'll be asleep when you read this but I wanted to say how appreciative I am of what you do.  This house work is somewhat thankless.  Especially when you have a career.  Ok, making lunch, reading the paper, the dogs, the cat and chickens, and the hawk all need tending.  Laundry needs to be done and the beds, maybe not made, but at least, straightened.   Dinner needs to be planned, procured, made and then cleaned up.  The floor needs to be swept and the sidewalk neatened.   The vegetables and hydrangeas need water.  Zander's music and Maxie's Spanish homework need to be listened to and a full interrogation given to Simon in hearing him say, "I'm ready for my test".  Then the day job.  The car needs its tires filled and clutter needs to be removed.  There are worries about you traveling that include wanting to protect you and smooth your way.

It's a lot and I have grown a new appreciation of you -- of working mothers. The dogs are badly in need of a long walk.  My clients need my attention.  There is so much to do with the new book.  My cell phone is dying.  Did I call my mother?  Did I call yours?  The broker called.  Are the logistics on tomorrow's shoot finalized?  When you are here, I like reading the paper until the coffee is gone.  I miss you and while I am upset about having to miss the high school homecoming game that Zander came for, I want to be at the airport as you clear customs, to race you home to a very appreciative family that has missed you and needs you here.  We are once again made aware of how many acts of love you do each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment